Monday, September 12, 2011

monday, monday

There was some statistic on GMA today about how many minutes are spent by a certain number of workers complaining about Monday and having to go back to work. Generally speaking, I am not one of those people.

If I was in my regular routine (which I am trying to get back into), I would have Mondays off from going to the gym. I like that because then I don't have to be out of the house by 5:15am. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are the days I nearly dread. Exercise, for me, is a double-edge sword. I know that I need to exercise to stay in shape and ward off the middle-age spread of a post-menopausal body. That said, I wish I could waive a magic wand and make all the benefits of exercise automatic and permanent. Wishful thinking!

Everyone knows the effects of exercise and weight bearing exercise. I've been consistently exercising for 14 years and I am proud of the shape my body is in. I've managed to (almost) maintain my weight for the past 14 years, within about 5 pounds. I've been menopausal for 4 years and at 52, the laws of gravity are conspiring against me. Menopausal women lose muscle mass at a rate that will motivate me to get to the gym in ways nothing else can. Women will lose 5 to 7 pounds of muscle every 10 years. That's enough reason for me to get out of bed at dark-thirty and get my body in motion.

No comments: