Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Boss (mine) is Back in Town

The boss-man was out of town for a whole freakin' 3 days. He was supposed to be gone all week fishing and camping with his son. It's soooo much calmer around here with him gone - I believe that he suffers from some sort of ADD and is an alcoholic. I love him dearly. He's like a father to me and I've worked for him for almost 15 years. He drives me (us) nuts at times .........

The fires are still raging in Northern California and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Most fires are barely contained and will continue to spread like, well, wildfire. The temperature is supposed to heat up in the next 3 days, which will make the air quality more intolerable than it already is.


~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~

I moved to California in June, 1981. I moved here to live with a man that would become my first husband. I made a mistake, a big mistake. I have a lot of pride. I couldn't admit I had made an error in judgment. I didn't want to admit to failure or be a failure.........

First, I'd like to say, that although my marriage didn't work for a variety of reasons, he is genuinely, a good man and father. But, I digress.

I found myself - a former urban chick, suddenly in the former egg capital of the world, Petaluma, California. Talk about a culture shock. Cows and chickens were things we only
heard about on Long Island. Now they were grazing damn near where I was living. Another thing, the house I was living in, an old Victorian on the main drag, was firmly planted between a liquor store and a bar. Talk about convenience - especially for a not fully developed alcoholic.

Nine months after shacking up - er - moving in with my bf/xdh, we had to go back to NY for his grandfather's funeral. I don't know how it happened, or maybe I do, but can conveniently forget, we told the family that we wanted to get married. Maybe it was to make my mother feel less ashamed about her daughter "living in sin", but all of a sudden we're planning an August wedding eight months later. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now mind you, my bf and I had had several high energy fights regarding my lousy attitude about being "stuck" in California - far away from my family and everything that seemed familiar and normal to me. One time he actually dragged my suitcases out of the closet and told me to move. Stubborn person that I was, I said I wasn't going anywhere. So you see, it's really not HIS fault I got married. I was provided an out, which I was too proud to take advantage of....

No comments: